Sunday, September 20, 2009

 

God the Father

I think I've blogged about this before, but it bears repeating: I understand our relationship to God a lot better, now that I have a child myself.

The most striking example is obedience. I get really frustrated when my son insists on doing something his way, even after I've just told him not to. The thing that's so annoying is that (of course) the reason I warned him about whatever he's planning on doing, is to help him avoid some calamity he doesn't anticipate. (It could be something serious, like me telling him to stop jumping in the bathtub, or something trivial, like me telling him we should put the electric toothbrush in his mouth before turning it on.)

Naturally, my son gets really mad at me and thinks I'm drunk on a power trip, issuing completely arbitrary commands. As a matter of principle, he goes ahead and does it his way, and suffers the outcome I had warned about. And obviously, I physically intervene to prevent him from "learning the hard way" about something really bad, like running in the street.

I think the connection between these points and our relationship with the God of the Bible is clear enough that I don't have to spell it out.



Comments:
one word: "ignorance"

doesn't need to have anything to do with the god. Its all around in the nature - part of "growing up".

This story is actually a good example for why everybody should "live" their own "path" - It can't be taught. when ready, the wisdom makes itself present. To become "ready", you need to live("make mistakes") and learn youself.

All the above can be reduced to :

"when you are ready, the master appears"

in above quote depending on your background :
master == "god" or "wisdom" or "inner god" or "enlightenment"(not a singular instance, can be multiple depending on context)
 
I'm pleased to see someone sharing their 'enlightment'. Blessed to have read your post.
 
So it's you who made the bathtub slippery, caused the toothpaste to tend flying around when on a toothbrush, and all that jazz? Do you put little nasty traps throughout the house that will maim your little boy - just to make sure he suffers when he does not listen to you?

THAT would be more parallel to the deity of the bible.

OR are you arguing that the biblical deity is a hapless denizen of this universe, desperately trying to protect its charges against the way the world works, hoping s/he could improve it and make it safer, but unable to do so?
 
God wanted my fingers to move, but I am resisting ....
 
James,

I've written on this elsewhere.
 
Bob,

I know you have, and it still strikes me as tortured logic, to put it mildly. And if I didn't respect your economic writings as much as I do, I would have long since ceased to come here and comment (It also helps that you are a good sport).

Still - you have to admit that your parallel in this post does not work out, not even within the odd semi-Jesuitic framework of your own logic.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]