Friday, June 5, 2009

 

My Policy on "Censorship"

OK kids, I think I've deleted a grand total of about 6 comments since this blog started last August, and 3 of them were within the last week. I am George Bush when it comes to these things--meaning I am both the decider and I don't owe you a formal list of criteria beforehand to know if you will incur my swift sword of judgment--but here are some tips:

(1) If you use the n-word (even if you then go on to make a substantive point),

(2) If you call Bernanke a Jew (and that's your point),

(3) If you call another commenter a naughty word (and that's your point),

then I will almost certainly delete the comment when I see it.

To clarify the difference between (1) and (2), you wouldn't get deleted if you said, "You know, a lot of people are suspicious of what they call 'Jewish bankers,' but Bernanke is a Jew and a banker and I think he's doing a great job in providing necessary liquidity during the credit crunch."

But if you said, "You know, a lot of people call African Americans..."

Actually never mind, I'm not even going to finish the train of thought. No upside, as they say.



Comments:
how much are they paying you?
 
FF to 2030:

"Oh my. The Bob Murphy Newsletter Scandal continues.

Only days after veteran investigative journalist James Kirchick revealed that Murphy once called for 85% of Japanese Americans to be interned, there are now disturbing stories about him referring derisively to a former Fed Chairman as a 'Jew and a banker'."
 
I could have such fun with a tongue-in-cheek comment to this post, but I'll hold back.

I wouldn't want the ***s and the ******s to get all upset. Before you know it, that ******* Murphy will delete my comment.

My bad. I guess that I couldn't hold back.
 
What scares me most about these blog trolls that show up just to throw off some racial slur or general profanities isn't what they write - it is the rare chance that their stupidity is overwhelming enough to be contageous even through a computer screen.

I try to think of advanced mathematical formulas with one half of my brain, while deleting the comments with the other. If it's been an especially bad one, I sleep with a book on calculus under my pillow afterwards.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]