Thursday, April 30, 2009

 

Man versus Beast

I am a pacifist when it comes to interpersonal relations, but not when there is a showdown between humans and the lower creatures. We have these ginormous carpenter bees that find our wooden house delectable. So last Sunday I took a tennis racket and slew 15 of them (as well as a wasp that chose its flight path poorly).

Today I was packing the car for my short trip to Memphis (for the ALEC Spring Task Force). A carpenter bee moseyed on up to me. Alas, my trusty weapon was 15 feet away, and behind a door to boot. (Otherwise I just would have used the force to retrieve it.)

So what did I do? Did I run into the house squealing like a little girl?

No sir, I cupped my right hand and served that bee right into the concrete. BAM! That's what I'm talking about. A light tap from my sandal put the reckless insect out of its misery. Let that be a lesson to other carpenter bees.

=============


OK I had an epiphany. I recently watched the clip of Winston in Room 101 (it had to do with the Bush torture memos and how they basically were trying to do Room 101 for their prisoners--i.e. come up with "the worst thing in the world" after a psychological profile).

So I was trying to think if it were possible that Winston could have extricated himself from that predicament without giving in. And I know it's a long shot--it actually would probably work for one rat, not sure about two--but hear me out:

When they lift the partition and the rats come at your face, you offer them your tongue. I think that would be a nice fleshy thing for them to sink their teeth in. Then once they're latched on, you retract your tongue back into your mouth and CRUNCH you bite their heads as hard as you can at the neck, decapitating them if you can but at the very least killing them.

If you did that, I think even Big Brother might be tempted to let you go. Or at the very least, he'd have the decency to shoot you.



Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Nope. The rat would immediately let go of your tongue and start chowing down on your lips instead.
 
Wow, you deleted my post. I'm sorry, I was unaware that criticism of your claim to pacifism was off-limits. In the future, I'll remember to smile and nod at all of your contradictory assertions of non-violence.
 
Bob, what I can't believe is that once, back when we were in grammar school at separate times together, you stomped one of those bees and squashed my tuna sandwich! Pacifist my ass! I'd call you a global-warmin' denyin' thug, that's what!
 
@Gene_Callahan: I didn't consider the bees to be the contradiction, but I guess no one else will know what was in the comment. And the problem was never Bob's views on whether the mainstream GW scientific consensus is correct; the problem is what he believes *conditional* on it being correct. Which is something like, "Oh, I'm flooding you guys out of your land? Don't worry, I'm sure you can come up with the money to pay me to stop."
 
Silas, you're awfully soft on Bob -- I consider Murphy himself to be a contradiction.
 
Bob, not to diss your little place, but the bees are unlikely to have found it delectable. Carpenter bees don't eat wood. They just make holes in it and use some of the dust to build nests. If this makes you feel any better...
 
Silas: Putting everything else aside, I don't view theft per se as violent. It constitutes aggression in a libertarian sense, and so does violence, but the two are distinct. If someone rips off my credit card number, he could still be a pacifist (and a thief).

English Bob: Are you just screwing with me or is that a serious objection? By the time the rat knows something is up, it is dead, by hypothesis. I'm saying I reel it into the range of my teeth while it is pigging out on my tongue. Why would it "immediately let go of my tongue"? The first pain it would feel would be its neck getting severed (hopefully).

Gene: That sandwich was gross anyway. Next time I'm taking your tots.
 
Okay ... so, now we have "Pumping enough water into inhabited land such that they have to evacuate" is non-violent.

I just have to say, it's pretty amazing how many things become "non-violent" once someone believes in pacifism...
 
Who is pumping water into other people's land?
 
I apologise for the shamefully late response. Yes, it is a serious objection. I don't think a human can withdraw a tongue WEIGHED DOWN BY A RAT faster than a rat can let go. Rodents have quick reflexes and a pretty good survival instinct.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]