Thursday, January 22, 2009

 

Remind Me Not to Move to South Korea

Jeff Tucker passed along this story:
South Korean prosecutors indicted a blogger on Thursday who had warned of financial doom for the country with critics saying he was targeted because his gloomy forecasts upset the government battling an economic downturn.

The blogger, writing under the pseudonym Minerva, became a household name for his predictions of sharp falls in the won and the local stock market and the collapse of U.S. investment bank Lehman Brothers. Prosecutors said he hurt the local currency by posting incorrect information online.

"The suspect in this case was indicted on charges of false information on two occasions," an official at the prosecutors' office said by telephone.

As South Korean markets tumbled late last year amid the global downturn, the main financial regulator warned it would crack down on what it considered malicious rumors and some economic analysts say they have come under pressure from authorities not to voice negative views on the economy.

At this point, I think the governments of the world should stop playing softball, and just order everyone at gunpoint to go buy something. Boom, recession solved.

...unless of course, there is some actual reason for the recession, besides fidgety consumers.



Comments:
I think I have finally arrived as an economic thinker. I've posted an occasional comment on Krugman's blog before, but today he pulled a Brad DeLong on me.

He was criticizing Robert Barro's piece in the WSJ, specifically, attacking Barro's WW2 multiplier of 0.8. I asked why he ignored Barro's peacetime multiplier estimate of 0. So, my previously innocuous comments are ok, but when I needle him, the moderator won't allow my comment.

I rock!
 
You weren't sarcastic or anything? All you did was ask why he didn't address the peacetime multiplier?

Is it possible the moderator is on the can or something? Or was your comment actually rejected?
 
I put my comment there around 9:00 am. I checked at around noon and it still said that my comment had not been ok'd by the moderator. I checked in the evening, and my comment was not there.

Not sarcastic. I would not consider myself yet capable of taking on Krugman. I'm still a paduan learner. :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]